It’s About Time!

Its About Time!

Who thought the class 2021 would have graduation in the middle of this pandemic? Guess what! They will have it! Seniors are looking forward to unique graduation. Sadly, last year seniors did not have the opportunity to celebrate. Still, this year the covid-19 will not stop them from following their dreams, goals, and one of the important things is an opportunity to have a ceremony. During the last couple of months, many students did not have the chance to interact with their friends and make memories together. Last year, seniors did not enjoy having a Prom as tradition always has been. Due to the pandemic, a lot of seniors have affected their lives and post-graduation plans.

Unfortunately, this year they will not have Prom, but they will celebrate their graduation. A lot of teens were affected. Meanwhile, others were happy to hear the class 2021 will have a ceremony.
A senior Teresa Garcia said, “The fact that knowing if there will be graduation is a good thing since the last year of high school is the most important year, and you spend thirteen years of having an education followed, graduation is a significant date for each of us, and it should be celebrated.” She said one of the advantages of having graduation is that each of them will be recognized by more students, families, members, and teachers. Garcia, after she graduate, plans to attend Columbia Basin College and get a degree on  Architecture and construction.

However, Maria Puga, another Pasco High senior, has concerns about the precaution that Pasco High School will take that day of the ceremony. “The disadvantage of having a ceremony is that a lot of people is going to attend and some of the people won’t follow the requirement to have a safe and healthy environment, and that could lead someone to get infected.”

The class 2021 having graduation this year makes them unique due to the impredicative event of a virus, and it also makes them different from the past years. Pasco High is taking action and having three ceremonies at other times, on the same day and in the same place. Seniors have the option to sign up for one of the three ceremonies. One of the precautions they will take is to ensure that everyone follows the requirements so that no one is infected. According to Pasco school district policy, “Due to the department of health guidelines related to COVID, staff, students, and guests are required to wear a mask during the graduation ceremonies” Pasco High explained that they would only provide five tickets for each student to minimize the number of people.

At the end of the day, Seniors will have the ceremonies on Saturday, June 12 at 9am, 11am, and 1pm at Edgar Brown Stadium. Cap and gown  and appropriate dress are required to participate in ceremony. Appropriate footwear is essential for the long walk to the stadium and remember anyone can find more information on Pasco High School website.