What is Required to Graduate

Students use this to track how many credits they earned after each year.

In every high school, students must take a certain number of classes for each subject to earn a total of twenty-four credits in order to graduate. Another high school requirement in order to graduate is having a pathway. A pathway is students taking the SBAC test in reading and math, if they don’t pass one or both areas there are other options such as CTE sequence of classes, post-secondary education, and military career interests. Lastly, students are required to have a high school and beyond plan, a plan that students work on throughout their high school career, they wish to pursue.  

As credits go, these are the credits students need to obtain in order to graduate high school. For English it’s four credits, mathematics is three credits, science is three credits, social studies are three credits, arts are two credits, health and fitness are two credits, career and technical education is one credit, electives are four credits, and world language is two credits. Each subject has its own personal profile of classes students take to obtain half a credit from five classes in one trimester in one school year. 

If students wish to keep track of their own credits and graduation plan, they can do so. Simply just heading to their computer through PowerSchool to check their grade history, then clicking the “view graduation progress” on the top right and it will pop up all the credits that are earned and which ones need to be obtained. This is a great way to figure out which classes students need to sign up for their next school year to earn their credits and be on track to graduate. 

If students are struggling with a class or failed a class, their assigned counselor can help them get back on track. For the students who have failed classes, counselors try to meet with them throughout the trimester to check in on their progress or to help them be successful. “We meet with students on how we can help you get back on track. We are offering summer school to all grades because a lot of students who struggled during COVID-19″ said Ms. Lopez, one of the counselors here at Pasco high. 

There are also other programs students can take such as Tri-Tech and running start at CBC or WSU. To enter these programs, students must talk to their counselors to work out a plan to get registered in either program. When students get into this program, they do still have to take high school classes that they need to take in order to graduate. When getting into running start they take college classes that can get students ahead if they wish to go to college. For Tri-Tech students, there are different classes that students can take to have it be assigned for their future occupation that need to be discussed with their assigned counselor.