MEChA Club

MEChA+Club

Jacqueline Ojeda Mendez, Editor in Chief

As the school year comes to a close, clubs at Pasco High are getting ready to celebrate their accomplishments. MEChA, el Movimiento Estudíantil Chicano de Aztlán, is one of these clubs.

MEChA club members will meet next month for the last time, concluding the first full year of club activities since the pandemic. Here is a recap!

T-Shirt Fundraising: The club sold Dreamers Welcome T-Shirts to fundraise. This fundraiser was successful and brought in lots of awareness to MEChA.

LULAC Conference: The League of United Latin American Citizens had a conference at CBC and all students in neighboring high schools were invited to attend. The conference included food, mariachi, and local speakers.

Candy Fundraising: Club members did a candy fundraiser by organizing meetings together, and promoting, making, and distributing candy. Students raised sufficient funds to attend the USHLI conference.

Día de los Muertos Altar: Club members organized an ofrenda for Día de los Muertos. The altar was in the library display case and held numerous objects that reflected both the Mexican holiday and culture.

USHLI Conference: The United States Hispanic Leadership Institute held their annual conference in Chicago, and PHS MEChA students had the opportunity to attend. Club members got to hear from a number of different Hispanic speakers in professional careers. The conference also included a dance.

Dream Center: Students in MEChA are now preparing for their trip to California next school year, where they will visit the Dream Center in California and interview community members. The aim is to implement a similar cultural space in Pasco schools.

“Es una organización estudiantil con el propósito de auto-determinación por medio de la educación con énfasis cultural, social e histórica,” says club president Alexia Molina Barrios. (The club encourages self-determination through education with cultural, social, and historical emphasis).

Stop by the Student Mall after school on June 1st for MEChA’s last meeting or email Mr. Saldana for information on next year!