• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

El Dia de los Muertos

El Dia de los Muertos

What is the day of the dead? The day of the dead (Dia de los Muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated on November 1st and 2nd each year, where people honor and remember their loved ones who have passed away.

How is it celebrated? For this day people create beautiful and colorful altars “ofrendas” with photos, favorite foods, and belongings of their departed loved ones. People also visit cemeteries, decorate graves, and hold picnics to honor and remember their ancestors accompanied with music, dancing, delicious food, and heartfelt memories.

Popular dishes on this day: some common foods for this day include pan de muerto (a sweet bread with sugar on the top), sugar skulls, tamales, mole, and atole (a warm corn-based drink). Families also tend to prepare favorite dishes and drinks that their departed loved ones used to enjoy during their lifetime, this as a way to remember and honor them.

Activities on this day: To celebrate this day people engage in various activities as already mentioned people visit cemeteries, decorating g graves with flowers and candles, creating colorful altars. They also attend to parades and festivals, and participating in traditional dances with traditional music.

Traditional dances and music: During the day of the dead some traditional dances are “Danza de Los Viejitos” and “La Calabera”. As for music, the most famous song would be “La Llorona” and there is also “La Bamba” that are often played during the festivities.

Story behind the song “La Llorona”: La Llorona is a famous Mexican folk song that tells the haunting tale of a woman named Maria. Legend has it that Maria drowned her children in a fit of rage and grief after being abandoned by her lover, overwhelmed with guilt and sorrow she roams the earth crying and searching for her lost children. This song captures the sadness and tragedy of her story, and it has been passed down through generations.

People’s beliefs about this tradition: During Dia de Los Muertos people believe that the spirits of their departed loved ones return to the earthly realm to be with their families. It is believed that the spirits are guided by the offerings and altars created by their loved ones, allowing them to enjoy the food, drinks, and other items left to them.

Iconic Symbols: La Catrina, an elegantly dressed skeleton figure that represents the idea that dead that death is a natural part of life and that we should embrace and celebrate it, she is a remainder to cherish our time on Earth and to honor our ancestors.  Another symbol of this day is Mictlantecuhtli, the Aztec god of the underworld, who is believed to oversee the spirits during this time. The legend says that Mictlantecuhtli ruled over the realm of the dead and was responsible for guiding the spirits during the Day of the Dead celebrations.

Characteristic flower: Marigolds are often considered the unique flowers associated with this holiday, these bight and orange or yellow flowers, known as “cempasuchil” in Spanish, have a special significance during the day of the dead in Mexico. They are believed to attract the spirits of loved ones and guide them back to the world of the living.

Some fun and famous movies about the day of the dead: “COCO” and “The Book of Life” are famous and animated films that capture the spirit and traditions of this holiday in a beautiful way. There is also another movie that is not as famous but fun during the day of the dead which is called “La Leyenda de la Nahuala” and should also watch “La Leyenda de la Llorona”.