• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Your mental health should be a priority

Mental health includes our emotional, social, and psychological well-being. It affects how we feel, think, act. This is very common according to centers for disease control and prevention more than 1 in 5 adults struggle with their mental health as well as 1 in 5 youth.  It is important we do what is best for us, it determines how we handle certain things like stress or relate to others. Mental health is extremely important at a young age and all the way to adulthood. It is important that you learn healthy ways to coping with your problems and how you treat others.

Sometimes when someone is struggling with their mental well being it can cause them to be depressed which can lead to a physical heath problem because maybe they will struggle to eat or sleep. It can make someone not want to go out and socialize or even get out of bed and doing simple daily tasks such as brushing your teeth, showering, cleaning your room, going outside to get fresh air. Depression is a very hard thing to deal with. You can lose friends and interest in things you once enjoyed. You should always have someone you can talk to, so you won’t struggle by yourself. Even writing how you feel can help by getting your feelings out.

You may ask yourself what causes mental illness? There is no single cause that causes it. Many factors can contribute to risk for mental illness. The problem can begin with childhood experiences such as trauma or experiences such as a chronic disease like cancer or diabetes. The use of alcohol & drugs can also play a factor with mental illness. Biological factors or chemical imbalances in the brain as well. Taking care of your mental health is strongly advised and is very important. Always put yourself first and for yourself. “Taking care of your mental health is an act of self-love.”