Breaking News
  • May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library
  • Early Release: May 15th
  • Senior meeting in PHS gym: May 15th
  • Golden Bulldogs: May 16th
The Student News Site of Pasco High School

Wasco

Wasco

Wasco

Upgrade your skills: Join the Construction Trade at PHS

Ever considered a career in construction? PHS offers a fantastic hands-on class for those who enjoy getting their hands dirty! Not only will you learn the ins and outs of building a house from scratch, but you’ll also gain invaluable skills to kick-start your career in the construction trades.  

Construction is not just for boys; it’s an exciting and rewarding career for everyone. Girls imagine having the ability to build, create, and repair things with your own hands. Learn valuable skills like carpentry, electrical, and plumbing, by joining the construction trade. Be a part of building a better community. Plus, you’ll be joining a community of strong women breaking down barriers in male-dominated fields. 

Being part of the construction trade can teach you to problem solve, it requires creative thinking and problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and find the best solutions. It can also help you work in teamwork, many construction projects involve working as part of a team, so you’ll learn how to collaborate, communicate, and complete tasks to achieve a common goal. Attention to detail can be helpful in a construction site. Precision and accuracy are crucial in construction trades, so you’ll develop a good eye for detail and a dedication to doing things right the first time. 

After talking to the construction teacher, John Marshall, he states “I think I would advise students who are just starting in a construction trade to get in with a small local company, learn as much as they can the first year or two, and decide what aspect of construction they want to be in.” Marshall’s advice also highlights the importance of continuous learning and growth within the construction industry. This approach will also allow students to explore different areas of construction. 

John Marshall was drawn to the underrepresentation of women in the construction trades but noticed that progress was being made and stated, “I think women are absolutely underrepresented in the construction trades right now, I think that’s changing and a lot more women are thinking that there is a good pathway to a career in construction, because there are so many different facets of construction, from the engineering and the drawings to the interior design, etc. And companies are more likely to hire women because it’s been a man’s field for a long time.” 

So, why wait? Explore the exciting world of construction trades and unlock your potential to create, build, and shape the world around you!