• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

Graduation Review

Graduation+Review

When Kanye West’s third studio album, “Graduation,” was released in 2007, it marked a significant turning point in both his career and the hip-hop scene. With 13 tracks and a duration of slightly over 51 minutes, this opus delves into the themes of artistic growth and self-discovery. It solidifies West’s status as one of the most significant figures in the music industry and showcases his inventiveness within the hip-hop genre. 

Compared to West’s earlier albums, “The College Dropout,” his debut record, and “Late Registration,” its follow-up, “Graduation,” represent a change. It shows the evolution of his artistic style. “Good Morning,” the opening track of the album, serves as a perfect introduction to West’s new direction. The song’s overall vibe is established by the blending of electronic components with soulful samples. 

The album is notable for its unique blend of wide appeal and experimental production. Songs like “Flashing Lights” and “Stronger” are great examples of the West’s desire to push the boundaries of hip-hop. The song “Stronger,” which was inspired by Daft Punk’s “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger,” became a huge hit and at the time led the way in fusing hip-hop with electronics. West’s skill at skillfully fusing genres is evidence of his innovative nature.

In “Can’t Tell Me Nothing” and “Homecoming,” among other tracks on the album, West delves into themes of fame, ambition, and nostalgia, offering poignant moments. These tracks highlight his narrative and poetic talents.

“Graduation” features cameos by T-Pain, Chris Martin, and Lil Wayne, demonstrating West’s ability to collaborate well with others. Each collaboration adds depth and diversity to the album’s tone.

The final song on the album, “Big Brother,” is a heartfelt and genuine ode to his friend and mentor, Jay-Z. It encapsulates the concepts of growth and development that are present throughout “Graduation.”

Kanye West’s “Graduation” is a timeless tune. It exhibits his fearless creativity and willingness to push the limits of traditional hip-hop. The album’s avant-garde production, thoughtful lyricism, and blending of several musical genres are hallmarks of hip-hop history. Whether you’re new to Kanye or have been a longtime fan, “Graduation” is a must-listen that shows what can be done when artistic boundaries are pushed.