• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Open house at PHS

The Open house is a time for all grades to meet teachers, coaches, and counselors. The open house was on October 2nd, 2023, in the Pasco High student mall. Parents and students were there to meet the faces behind the names on PowerSchool. From cross country to FFA, multiple different clubs were there to raise the news about who they are and what is available for students. 

Ms. Quintero-Lopez is a counselor in the student services area. She was at the student services booth with the other counselors to greet families and students. She said one thing she enjoyed was “Meeting families, although we see your kid’s day to day. It is nice to meet the parents and siblings, especially in a different setting.” Having students meet in a different environment like the student mall or auditorium. It helps them feel more comfortable sometimes because when you think of going to the counselor’s office, sometimes we do not have a good feeling about going. So, attending a more relaxed and open event such as an open house makes it easier for students to see their counselor in a different setting and environment. She also mentioned some things she wishes had happened before the open house “better ways of advertising, I know we posted onto Minga and social media. I do not know how well it reaches families. So, adding it somewhere else and giving more time to be seen.” I know as a student; I do not always check my Minga app. However, I agree with her on posting the open house earlier and on known platforms, so students are aware of what Is happening. Lastly, we discussed the student turnout during the open house. She stated “I do not think it was well attended; It could have been how it was advertised. I think if that improved, we would have a better turnout. Also, adding the intention of an open house onto the flyers so students understand what is going on.” Students would have been more likely to show if they knew about the open house and the purpose behind it.  

I was also talking to Isaiah Allen, an FFA member, and Chapter Officer who was attending to help at the FFA and welding booths. During our discussion about what he enjoyed about the open house, he stated “I enjoyed talking to the parents of interested kids who wanted to join the welding club.” Being a welding student since his first year, he was better able to explain the class and process to parents. He had also mentioned something he disliked about the open house was “the location of the welding booth, I wish we weren’t crammed up into the corner like we were.” The layout of the open house was a more open aisle walkway concept to accommodate teachers and the tables.  

Overall, the open house was a successful event held by the school.