Breaking News
  • Last day of School: June 13th
  • Senior Party @ Movie Theater: June 5th, 6pm
  • Graduation: June 8th @ 6pm; Edgar Brown Stadium
  • Last day of school for seniors: June 5th
The Student News Site of Pasco High School

Wasco

Wasco

Wasco

Review of Kingdoms of the planet of the apes

This weekend I went out and saw “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes directed by Wes Bell, this movie marks a new and compelling chapter in its iconic franchise. The movie is set 300 years after the fall of human civilization, the chapter explores a world where apes have established complex societies while still struggling with the remnants and ideologies of their ancestors.

The film focuses on Noa, a young chimpanzee from the Eagle clan (played by Owen Teague). Noa’s peaceful life is disrupted when he encounters Mae, a human (portrayed by Freya Allan). Their meeting sets off a chain of events leading to an attack on Noa’s village by militant apes led by Proximus Caesar (played by Kevin Durand), a ruthless leader with a twisted interpretation of Caesar’s legacy. Proximus’s ambitions threaten the fragile peace among ape factions and ignite a quest for dominance over remaining human technologies.

Visually, “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” is a knockout. The film’s cinematography, led by Gyula Pados, captures the epic scale and beauty of the apes’ world. from flourishing forests to ruined human cities reclaimed by nature. The performance capture technology used to bring the apes to life is outstanding, allowing for detailed expressions and nuanced performances that ground the story in emotional reality.

The theme from the film explores the weight of history and the struggle of forging a new path without repeating past mistakes. The narrative thoughtfully puts into question to how the victors rewrite history and the potential for interspecies cooperation despite deep-seated mistrust and conflict. This reflection on pacifism versus militarism is particularly moving, questioning whether violence can ever truly bring about lasting peace.

The character development is rich, with Noa’s journey from a sheltered youth to a determined leader providing the emotional core of the film. His relationship with Mae adds complexity, showcasing the possibility of understanding and alliance between apes and humans. Freya Allan’s portrayal of Mae brings a fierce determination and vulnerability to the character, making her more than just a plot device. Kevin Durand’s Proximus Caesar is a formidable antagonist, bringing a menacing presence and ideological intensity that challenges Noa and his allies. The dynamic between Proximus and the other characters raises the stakes and keeps the tension high throughout the film.

So, “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” is a visually appealing and content-rich addition to the series. It sets a high bar for future installments with its compelling characters, detailed world-building, and reflective narrative. This film not only honors its predecessors but also boldly carves out new territory in the ongoing saga of “Planet of the Apes”.