Breaking News
  • May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library
  • Early Release: May 15th
  • Senior meeting in PHS gym: May 15th
  • Golden Bulldogs: May 16th
The Student News Site of Pasco High School

Wasco

Wasco

Wasco

Ways to stay safe while driving in the winter

High Schoolers are always excited to start driving however, driving can be scary sometimes. This is true especially during the winter times because you may find it hard to drive in the snow or to navigate through the ice. Here are some precautions you can take to keep yourself and others safe while driving in the winter.

One thing you can do is be aware of the weather and proceed with caution. This means before you start driving look at the weather forecast, then you can decide if you need to go out driving or if it would be more safe to stay inside and run your errands at a different time. Being aware of the weather can also help you realize when there may be ice on the roads, this happens when road surface temperatures are above freezing during the day, but they fall below freezing at night. Knowing the weather conditions will also allow you to warn others to help them stay safe as well.

Another way you can stay safe is by not being in a rush. This might mean giving yourself a few extra minutes to get where you need to go. Take it slow on the roads, this may mean going below the speed limit. This also means giving you and the car ahead of you extra space, that way in case anything happens you have time to break without worrying about hitting the car ahead of you. And while breaking, to avoid skidding you need to be sure to break gently. This goes along with giving yourself enough extra room to do so.

A further precaution could be to invest in weather-appropriate tires. If you don’t have the correct tires for the winter snow it could be dangerous. An article titled “Are Snow Tires a Worthwhile Investment?” offers the statement that, “your tire selection can improve those performances and make the difference on how well you stop” says Shepard. Getting all-weather tires may help you while you are driving through the snow. But be sure to swap your tires out once it starts to get warmer outside, they should be stored away from the sunlight, if possible in an indoor room temperature location. This will reduce the aging of your all-weather tires.

You would also want to be sure to remain observant. You should make sure your mirrors and windshields are clear and you can see through them. Then look and be aware of other drivers and their speed. It may be the best choice to avoid staying near unsafe drivers. Be observant of the roads and the traffic. This way it could help you to choose the fastest route and not be stuck in the traffic and feel the need to rush, this will just cause more danger and stress on you.

The weather is getting colder so we need to be sure to do our part and keep the roads safe by taking precautions to ensure your safety and the safety of others. Stay safe and happy winter!