• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

Texting and driving

Driving while texting is a significant matter that impacts everyone on the road. It is risky to text and drive because there could be consequences. 

First and most importantly, texting and driving is incredibly dangerous. When we drive, the road and our surroundings ought to come first. However, once we start texting, we become distracted from the road and our hands come off the wheel as we focus on our phone. An accident is more likely to occur as a result of the poor judgment and delayed reaction times caused by this divided attention. 

Texting while driving is six times more likely to result in an accident than drunk driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The shocking estimate illustrates the potential danger of this behavior. As a matter of fact, texting is a major contributing factor to the over 3,000 deaths caused by distracted driving in the United States alone. 

Research has indicated that texting while driving is the same as operating a vehicle while drunk. It makes it more likely that you will swerve or drift into other lanes, makes it harder for you to respond quickly to changing road conditions, and makes you less aware of everything going on around you. 

Texting while driving is problematic not only because of the physical risks but also because of the potential legal consequences. Strict laws are in place in many states and countries to intimidate this kind of behavior like risk significant fines, license suspension, and points on our record. 

Thankfully, it is possible to stop texting and driving. Making the decision to never text and drive is crucial, both to ourselves and to other people. If you must use your phone for talking or texting, put it on silent or out of reach to avoid the temptation to check or reply to messages. If necessary, you can even pull over and park safely. 

If you must also communicate while operating a vehicle, think about using voice commands or hands-free features like Bluetooth. It’s essential to remember that even these techniques have the ability to be a distraction. 

Always prioritize your safety and the safety of others. Sending or receiving a text message is not worth endangering lives.