Breaking News
  • PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • Early Release: May 15th
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • Senior meeting in PHS gym: May 15th
  • Golden Bulldogs: May 16th
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)
The Student News Site of Pasco High School

Wasco

Wasco

Wasco

PHS Students’ favorite classes and experiences

PHS Students favorite classes and experiences

As we approach the end of the trimester at Pasco High School many begin to reflect on their experiences as students at PHS. Students think back to the friendships they made, the memories they created along the way, and the teachers who inspired and made the class a fun place to attend. Although not many can say they enjoyed their time at PHS there are still many who believe that there were certain classes, teachers, and just people overall who made their high school experience something joyful and enjoyable. I interviewed many students of all grades from Pasco High School to see what they had to say about their favorite classes, teachers, and experiences during their time spent at school, and here is what they had to say!

Gustavo Vargas who is a senior at Pasco High School claimed that one of his favorite teachers was Mrs. Dunn and one of his favorite classes to attend was History which was taught by her. Here is what he said “History with Dunn was honestly great because she is really passionate about the subject, and she loves to answer any questions you have. Also, she made it fun by engaging and sharing her personal opinions on the topics.” I have not had the pleasure to have Mrs. Dunn as a teacher but by the way Gustavo described her and her class it seems like she’s a really good teacher who makes class a fun place to be in.

Ninnel Paz who is also a senior at Pasco High School stated that Mrs. Hilty was definitely one of the best teachers at Pasco High School. Mrs. Hilty currently teaches financial literacy, Mental health, and human development. The class that Ninnel took with her was mental health and counseling, and she claims that it was one of her absolute favorite classes to take, here is what she said, “Mental health and counseling because it’s an important class, it gives great advice for dealing and processing your emotions and what some good and healthy coping skills can be. It teaches how important it is to reach out for help and talks about different resources and outlets you can use to be able to process the trauma and go to therapy. And if therapy isn’t for you, it explains how helpful things like journaling, drawing/painting, or basically anything artistic can be a good way to way to cope and understand your own emotions in a personal way for you. The class discusses what some mental illnesses really are and some stigmas surrounding them. We also meditated every day and that helped with relaxing and prepare us for the day. We learned how when we meditate, we tend to be more focused on how important taking time for yourself and taking breaks is.” I personally have taken a class with Mrs. Hilty before and can confirm that it was definitely such a great environment, she is a very welcoming person, and someone who genuinely cares about her students.

Bella Mata who is currently a junior at Pasco High School also said that mental health and counseling with Mrs. Hilty was her absolute favorite class that she has taken at Pasco High School here is what she said, “Mental health and counseling with Mrs. Hilty because it is the only class, I feel seen in and she is welcoming and always there for you when you need someone. In general, the class is pretty interesting, and you learn a lot about mental health and your own mental health. It kind of helps you understand what’s going on, at least for me.” Like I said before if there is any class or any specific teacher any student at PHS should take it is a class with Mrs. Hilty. You will never feel left out, or like you are falling behind, she’s always there to push and encourage her students to be the best that they can be.

Vivianna Castro, currently a senior at Pasco High School said that her favorite class that she took 1st trimester was CIVICS with Mrs. Perez. Here is everything she had to say, about why she chose that class. “12th-grade CIVICS history class taught by Mrs. Perez has been one of my most memorable and favorite classes I’ve had all through high school. To start off, not only was Mrs. Perez so interactive with her class, but she also made the class fun. She would play games with us to help us understand the government and their roles. She was always joking with us as well, making the overall experience fun and made the class entertaining. But the people I got to meet in this class made it even better. I became so close with people I would’ve never thought I would have become close with. These people made the class 100 times better than it already was. They joked with me, and we created a bond and shared many similar thoughts and perspectives about many things. Now I talk to these people every day and o can just talk about anything and everything. This class has really been amazing and is one of my favorite classes that I’ve ever taken at Pasco High School.” I can 100% agree with everything Vivianna said because I was one of the people who took this class with her and can confirm that everything, she said about Mrs. Perez is very true. Mrs. Perez made that class so much more interesting than it actually was, she engaged a lot with the class and was always making jokes and making sure that we were never bored even if we were discussing some boring topics. And just like Vivianna said, the people I met in that class also made that class so much better and I can also say that taking CIVICS with Mrs. Perez was one of the best things to have happened to me 1st trimester.

Overall, I can see why many students don’t always enjoy going to school or taking certain classes, but it’s moments like these that make going to school so much better. There are just certain teachers, classes, students, and experiences that just make you actually want to go to school.