• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

The Ape Caves

The Ape Caves

The Ape caves located at the base of Mt. Saint Helens offer a variety of experiences for all ages. The caves were formed 2,000 years ago when lava filled cracks in the earth and formed a hard crust on the surface. Which in turn insulated the lava beneath and began melting the earth and over the course of a year. This formed the 13,000-foot tunnel making it the 3rd largest lava cave in North America.

Once at the base camp of the Ape Caves located off the left side of Forest Road 8303 in Washington 98616 you make your way along the 5-minute hike to the entrance of the Ape Caves. After descending the first flight of stairs into the open pit you then enter the caves and continue down the many flights of stairs to the bottom. You will quickly notice the rapid drop in temperature averaging 45 degrees. At the bottom, you can choose between the upper and lower caves and begin your adventure. 

The Ape Caves divided into two sections known as the upper and lower caves offer adventure for all ages. For those looking for a relaxed family-friendly adventure, the ¾ mile lower cave offers you a relatively easy path for children and adults alike. The upper cave unlike the lower caves is at least a 1 ½ mile climb up and down steep rocks and boulders, through a few narrow squeezes, and an 8-foot-tall rock wall, and a 1.5 mile hike above ground back down to the cave entrance. The lower caves take roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on how quickly you move through the cave and its hike back to the entrance. 

Sophomore Andrew Vasquez, who attended the caves on October 7th, 2023, with a group of his friends said that he enjoyed exploring the upper caves. Andrew mentioned that he had the most fun when crawling through the “Really tight and rocky” tunnels. These side tunnels Andrew mentioned, while optional, are in my opinion the most exciting parts of the cave to explore. They are scattered all along the upper cave and can lead you up into tunnels above the main cave. For the most part, the tunnels above the cave follow the same path and eventually reconnect back to the main cave. Once at the end of the upper cave, you have the option of climbing up a ladder back to the surface and taking the beautiful 1-and-a-half-mile walk back to the base camp or turning around and exploring the depths of the cave once more.

The Ape Caves are a great way to disconnect from the outside world and spend time surrounded by nature, and its creations, and uninterrupted time with friends and family. Junior Ethan Cooke who attended the caves with Andrew on the 7th said “If you like exploring go for it.”. And I will have to agree! from the dark tunnels underground to the mountainside views the Ape Caves is a great place for those looking for a day packed full of adventure.

To learn more about the Ape Caves visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=40393