• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Daylight savings is near

Daylight saving time. Clock. time. Fall back and spring forward. Cute vector cards.
Getty Images/iStockphoto

Did you know that the end of daylight savings was just around the corner? Coming November 5 this century-old event will end, and clocks will rewind an hour. This means the return of brighter mornings and darker afternoons. This day has sparked much debate throughout the decades on whether it should be continued or forgotten. So, whether you prefer it or not, be ready to reset your clock so you don’t end up sleeping in.  

For those who are confused daylight savings is an event that takes place in the summer months as a way of saving energy. The logic here is since the sun is out longer during the day, by adding an hour we then have more time with the sun in our day. This can help with saving energy that would otherwise be wasted if the sun didn’t provide that light. Daylight savings ends in the winter usually around November and takes an hour away, so we then have more light in the winter mornings. This idea is mostly credited to Benjamin Franklin. He brought up this idea when he thought that his Parisian mornings were being wasted. Whatever that means. 

Daylight savings was brought to the United States in 1918 to save energy and add more daylight hours to the day. At the time more sunlight during the day was vital since technology wasn’t as advanced to help provide light.  

Why is it still a thing? Because it offers some benefits such as conserving energy. Again, by adding an extra hour it avoids the use of artificial light during hours of the afternoon when people tend to go out the most. But not all people share this viewpoint. Many agree that daylight savings is a thing of the past and should be put to rest. Some become annoyed that their sleeping schedule becomes messed up while others just don’t like that the sun goes down so quickly. Some sleep experts claim that daylight savings can be extremely dangerous to people. An article posted on Healthline.com says ‘’Daylight saving time can disrupt our circadian rhythms, making us less alert and prone to illness or accident. Many sleep experts are calling for it to be abolished’. Daylight savings may be affecting people in more harmful ways than originally thought.  

Daylight savings has its pros and cons. Do we need it? That’s up to you to decide. Just remember that November 5 is the day it ends. Don’t forget to fix your clocks.