• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Total solar eclipse 2024

Get ready for a spectacular celestial event on April 8th

Get ready for the next total Solar Eclipse this April 8th, 2024. Some parts of the United States will be able to see the total Solar Eclipse. The last time there was a total solar eclipse was about 7 years ago in 2017.

According to experts, the following 15 states in the United States will have the best views of the total solar eclipse: Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. These states are located within the path of totality So, if you want to witness this amazing event in all its glory, you’ll want to be in one of these states on April 8th.

The total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024, will be visible starting at 11:07 a.m. PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) and will travel northeast across the United States and Canada, with the totality lasting up to around 4 minutes depending on the specific location. The peak time of the eclipse will vary by location, but the times mentioned above are approximate for the start and end of totality in the United States. Keep in mind that even if you’re not in the path of totality, you can still see a partial eclipse in other parts of the country.

The way this total eclipse works is that when the moon’s shadow will cover the sun completely, resulting in a total solar eclipse. A break down to this is:

1. The sun and the moon will be lined up at the same place that is called ecliptic plane.
  2. The moon revolves around the earth, and its position relative to the sun changes over time.
  3. When the moon, sun, and earth are precisely aligned, the moon can pass directly between the earth and the sun, casting a shadow on the earth.

That is the basic understanding of how a total eclipse work. Scientize can predicate the next solar eclipse because of the regular movements of the sun, moon, and earth, which follow predictable patterns called orbits.

Remember that you need to wear special glasses, called eclipse glasses or solar viewing glasses, while an eclipse is dangerous and can cause serious eye damage. Staring at the sun at anytime is very dangerous. It can be very tempting while the sun is partially or completely covered. However, even during a total eclipse, there’s still a sliver of sunlight peeking out, which can be as dangerous as looking directly at the sun on a normal day.

What are the eclipse glasses made out of? Solar viewing glasses are made out of a very special material that blocks out harmful solar radiation that till allow you to watch the solar eclipse These glasses must meet the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for solar filters. Without them, you risk permanent damage to your eyesight, including retinal burns, which can lead to permanent vision loss.

Did you know that there are four types of solar eclipses? The first type is the total eclipse that we are about to have where the moon shadow lines up with the sun. Another is an annular solar eclipse, also known as a ring of fire eclipse. There is also a partial solar eclipse is when the moon covers only part of the sun, creating a crescent-shaped sun. And finally a hybrid solar eclipse, also known as a hybrid or annular-total eclipse. This is a rare type of eclipse that transitions from an annular to a total solar eclipse, or vice versa, along the eclipse’s path.

View Comments (1)