• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Photography at Pasco High

With this trimester coming to an end, you may want to consider signing up for one of Pasco Highs extensive photography classes! With the 4 amazing photography and digital media teachers Mr. Rust, Ms. Vidrio, Ms. Peterson, and Mr. Brault here at Pasco there is endless amounts of information to learn in the ever-growing industry of photography.

Starting from the basics of photography and editing taught in photo 1 and 2, right into the advanced lighting and heavily detail-oriented photo classes 3 and 4 taught by Mr. Rust who has been teaching photography for 8 years here at Pasco high. He mentions that his favorite thing about teaching photography at Pasco high is “Being able to share the great past time and hobby of photography” Unlike most teachers Mr. Rust has a unique final for all his photo classes known as The Wheel of Death! This wheel accounts for 50% of a student’s final grade and simulates the business side of photography by representing a client who you have done work or in this case assignments for in the past. Each student takes their turn spinning a wheel labeled with every assignment they have done in the duration of the class. The assignment or client the wheel lands on then “asks” for the past work the student has done. If the student has not done any or enough work for that assignment, they will fail that portion of the final. Mr. Rust says his favorite part of the wheel of death is “when people realize it is not as big of deal, it is something that they will remember.”

Photography is also very unique in the aspect of it is one of the few classes that students are allowed and encouraged to leave the classroom to complete there assignments throughout the trimester. Senior Howie Thorne who took photography 1 says this trimester says “getting out of the classroom is my favorite part of taking photography.”. Then for those students who have already taken photography and are looking for more opportunities to challenge themselves to learn and take photos for longer periods of time Pasco Highs Yearbook offers all of that and more. In yearbook you have the opportunity to learn in depth sports, and event photography as well as shoot unique events you would not normally have the opportunity to experience.

Photography is a skill that each and everyone of us use on our photos every day, and through the programs we have offered at Pasco high there is no better place to start.