• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

Are clubs truly beneficial to schools and students?

Are clubs truly that important? Yes, some people can argue that they’re important because they show colleges, for example, how social you are and can supposedly tell a lot about your personality. But can they really? Colleges only make the assumption that a person has fewer social skills and doesn’t have a better personality than someone who does get involved with clubs and activities. If sports count as clubs then there’s no doubt it’s very important and beneficial to colleges that are looking for only the most athletic athletes to join their college team. But mainly clubs are for people who don’t have anything better to do and are fortunate enough to have extra time for extracurricular activities. They either use it to continue pursuing their dreams and passions or to kill time. But what if there isn’t a club for what you’re interested in? That will usually be the case and if you really want to join a club with your interest that doesn’t exist, then you will be tasked to create your own club which will be a lot of work to manage.

Colleges only focus on what they want instead of what they should because clubs don’t determine a person’s entire personality, especially how social they can be. What really determines if a person is social is how many friends are around them and the classes that they chose as electives in high school. Of course, someone who is doing a form of art is more creative than other normal people, and someone who does a form of work like metals, woods, auto, and things of that nature is a more focused person when it comes to their form of craft. Someone who chooses to take harder forms of writing believes that the normal writing classes are too simple, meaning they are better at conversing. Someone who does more classes that include -ology (the study of) at the end can converse with someone on a deeper level and possibly argue better than the average person.

Angel Yahir, a student at Pasco High, has this to say about clubs, “Clubs can be important to students because they allow them to get into programs or experience something for themselves firsthand. This can be important if a student has a passion for a certain career connected to that club or activity. Student interests aside, another benefit of these clubs are scholarships. The more a student participates with their school, the more likely they are to be recognized and awarded said scholarship

Erin Castro, another student currently at Pasco High, says, “Yes, they are important to schools and students because they bring people together who share similar interests.”

Angel Martinez who also attends Pasco High says, “I think clubs are an important part of school because they help bring people together to do things students enjoy doing, but as a team and with friends. They help make new connections with people to learn and build trust of each other to gain new levels of understanding for the things that they’re passionate about whether it be gaming, sports, or literature at the end of the day they help bring the best out of students and help them look forward for school.”

Clearly, someone who takes certain electives has a certain level of interest in the electives that they choose. This means it’s more important to look at the classes that were chosen as electives vs. the clubs they joined. What would be even better is if both were considered when making personal assumptions. There’s only one club that goes with a person’s future interests but there are sets of classes that all revolve around certain fields of a person’s interests in a future job/career. Not everyone will have time for clubs because they are only focusing on classes or it’s truly that they just don’t have time. If everyone didn’t have a job or family to worry about then there would definitely be a lot more people in clubs. Also, considering the extracurricular activities that students would likely be doing after school, that’s most likely what deters most students from joining clubs, because they’d feel obligated to help after school which like I’ve said before students might not have time to help with.