• PHS Mental Health Week: April 29-May 3
  • Prom at Moore Mansion: May 11th; 7-11pm
  • April 23rd and 30th - State Testing (10th and 11th Grade ONLY)
  • Senior Cap and Gown Pick-up: May 7th & 8th (After school)
  • FINAL DAY TO TURN IN PROM GUEST FORMS: FRIDAY MAY 3RD
  • May 6th-10th - SPIRIT WEEK
  • May 1st - NHS (Blood drive in library)

Best Christmas desserts to make during the holidays

Getty Images
Outdoors Christmas trees at night. 3D generated image.

It is that time of the year again! Christmas is right around the corner and many people have started Christmas shopping for decorations, gifts, food etc. There are many things to do this holiday season to show appreciation for your loved ones. One of my favorite ways to do show my appreciation for my loved ones is to bake for them. I decided to share my favorite, easy, and delicious Christmas desserts to make during this holiday season!

Snowman Cupcakes

Ingredients:

• 3 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3/4 c. canola oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 c. full-fat buttermilk

For the vanilla buttercream:

• 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 to 3 tbsp. whole milk or heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 4 c. confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 c. shredded coconut
  • Black food coloring
  • Orange food coloring
  • Step 1
    Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two standard 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
  • Step 2
    Beat oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture and beat until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans, dividing evenly (each cup should be about two-thirds full).
  • Step 3
    Bake, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack 15 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
  • Step 4
    Make the buttercream: Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in milk, vanilla, and 2 cups confectioners’ sugar until combined. Add remaining 2 cups confectioners’ sugar and beat until combined. Set aside 1 ½ cups of buttercream. Frost cupcakes with remaining buttercream. Press shredded coconut into frosting.
  • Step 5
    Stir together 1 cup frosting and black food coloring in a bowl until desired shade is reached. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round piping tip or a zip-top bag with a small hole cut in one corner. Stir together ½ cup frosting and orange food coloring in a second bowl until desired shade is reached. Transfer to a second piping bag fitted with a small round piping tip or a zip-top bag with a small hole cut in one corner. Pipe a carrot-shaped nose in the center of each cupcake. With the black frosting, pipe two eyes and five or six smaller dots for the mouth. Store cupcakes, covered, at room temperature up to 2 days. 

Sugar Cookie Bars

For the cookie:

• Cooking spray
  • 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the buttercream:

• 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tbsp. whole milk
  • 1 tsp. pure peppermint or vanilla extract
  • 2 c. confectioners’ sugar
  • Holiday sprinkles

For the brownies:

• 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for baking pan
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 1/4 sugar
  • 3 large eggs

For the chocolate buttercream:

• 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. whole milk or cream
  • 1 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
  • Pretzel twists, red M&Ms, and candy eyes, for decorating

Reindeer Brownies:

• Step 1
    Make the cookie bars: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9- by 9-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhand on two sides. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  • Step 2
    Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined. Slowly beat in flour mixture until combined.
  • Step 3
    Transfer the dough to prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until edges are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in a pan on a wire rack, for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the cookie out of the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
  • Step 4
    Make the buttercream: Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in milk, peppermint or vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar. Spread frosting over cookie bars and sprinkle with holiday sprinkles. Cut into squares. 
  • Step 1
    Make the brownies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the cups of a standard 12-cup muffin pan. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  • Step 2
    Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the bowl is not touching the water. Cook, stirring often, until melted; remove from heat. Add sugar and stir to combine. Add eggs and stir to combine. Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
  • Step 3
    Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, dividing evenly (each cup should be about two-thirds full). Bake, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
  • Step 4
    Make the buttercream: Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat in cocoa powder, vanilla, and cream, scraping sides as necessary, until combined, about 1 minute. Add half of the confectioners’ sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining confectioners’ sugar; beat for 1 minute.
  • Step 5
    Frost brownies with buttercream, dividing evenly. Place eyes and noses in the center of the frosting. Cut 12 pretzel twists in half to make antlers. Press antlers into the frosting. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days.