Wherever We Go….

June 9th is the last day of school for some students at Pasco high. They have been through a lot these last four years of high school, especially because of Covid. Some of these graduating seniors are going to college or the Military, and some go straight to work. Here’s what a few of our PHS students are going to do after high school.

Jacquelyn Steinman loves digital arts and film. During her two years at Pasco high and Tri-tech, she learned communications skills and built her portfolio. Did school teach her skills for her future? “Yeah, I feel like, in general, the skills I learned here and at Tri-Tech will help me just because talking with people is hard; they taught me how to get around that.” Jacquelyn’s best influence is Mr. Chaves “because when I first got here, he was a great help with my mental health, with my education.” Her senioritis is pretty bad because of Covid she got use to sleeping in. Now that she is back in person, she has been “at least 10 to 15 minutes late.” There are some regrets she has had during her high school years at PHS was not taking some opportunities presented to her. But with regrets, there are some exciting times at PHS, like when school finally opened sports to students, she was able to experience her senior season in softball. One piece of advice that she would give to upcoming students is “keep looking forward; there is always light at the end of the tunnel.” In ten years, she hopes to have a job and a happy life and “I imagine I will be doing what I love.”

Noel Fernandez is an upcoming graduate. After high school, he plans to take a year off; then, he is going to CBC to play basketball for two years. Next, he wants to enter a university. Noel isn’t sure what university he wants to join. He doesn’t know what he wants to do for his future, but what he is thriving for is sports med. His brother was in the sports med, and Noel got into learning about it and wants to pursue it. A basketball team he would like to be on is North Caroline Tar Heels because “they have the best men’s basketball team ever.” Throughout his high school years, one skill he learned is how to be respectful. “Respect is a huge thing in the world; some of my teachers taught it to me.” His best influence is Mr. Rust. Throughout his whole high school experience Rust encouraged him to do better. A piece of advice that has stuck with him is what Mr. Rust has told him “show up, do the work.” It has stuck with me since freshman year.” One thing he’d change from his high school year would be that Covid never happened, so he could have still been Twirp king and would have been able to walk and have a dance. In ten years, “I’m hoping to pursue basketball, if it doesn’t happen, then I still hope that I continue to be in sports med.” A piece he would tell an upcoming freshman would be, “just be respectful, don’t be rude. Your high school years are going to go by in a flash, so there is no reason to sit there and be rude so just live it out.”

Raelynn Brown wants to Go to a trade school for cosmetology. Then go to CBC to get a business license and open her own salon. She learned Photography to promote her salon to social media. She had positive influences during her attendance at Pasco High. Her biggest influences are Mr. Leatham and Mr. Rust, who influenced her to be kind and helped her a lot. These last few months of school senioritis hit her hard. She always wants to be home and not at school. In these four years, what would she change? “I Would change this last year due to the pandemic and be able to have a typical senior year.” In the future, after she finishes Cosmetology school and gets her license in business, she wants to have her own salon for eyebrows, lashes, hair, and more.

Now that you have heard what these students want to do after high school, what do you want to do? Go to college or straight to work? We hope that these seniors helped you think about what you are going to do and what you will do during your years in high school to help your future.

Written by Alexandru Demenciuc, Isabella Ramirez and Natalia Calvillo
Edited by Alexandru Demenciuc