• May 31- Auto Show
  • May 30- Senior Awards Night
  • May 29- Bulldog House Opening
  • May 29- Bilingual Math Night
  • May 24- Last Senior Meeting
  • May 14th: National Honor Society Induction; 6-7pm in Library

Why do People Dislike K-pop?

K-pop is Korean music that some people are quick to dislike just because they think it’s weird and cringe. Theswe groups became popular in the early 2000’s. According to an Arts and Culture article, “In the early 2000’s, marketing on Korean drama and it’s OST as well as idols in oversea countries succeeded to grab their attention”.

People have asked how K-pop has become popular. According to a News Yale Education article, “Initially a musical subculture popular in south Korea during the 1900’s, Korean pop, or K-pop has transformed into ‘a global cultural phenomenon”.

BTS and BLACKPINK are probably the most disliked K-pop groups by people who have an issue with K-pop. Some say BTS sounds like girls and others say BLACKPINK’s music is not good and that a certain member in that group doesn’t try hard enough in the areas of dancing and choreography. It is important for people to know that every K-pop group is different. They don’t all sound the same or look the same. Sometimes people just automatically assume that they look the same or that they sound the same when they haven’t listened to their music at all whatsoever. It’s not right to judge something or someone before trying to listen. It is okay that people have different opinions about K-pop but that doesn’t mean they should hate on it.

When I asked individuals, “Why do you dislike K-pop?” these are a couple of the responses I received:

Maleah- “It’s disgusting. I personally think their music is so bad and overrated. All their music sounds the same. And their fanbase is too much”.

Rafael- “I dislike it because it is annoying and boring and you can’t even understand what they are saying. They are just not good”.

As we can see from these responses, everyone has their own opinions about K-pop. And if you have listened to it and you don’t like it then that’s okay but we should not go around making fun of people that like and listen to K-pop. Some people may dislike K-pop because they might not understand the lyrics if they’re not familiar with the language and others might find the fan culture overwhelming. All of these opinions are valid. We all have our own preferences in music, but let’s make sure we’re not judging other people for what they like to listen to.